Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Guide To Relationships With N/T's (Part One)

Relationships are hard, even when two perfectly compatible people are involved. So being someone with Aspergers, involved with a Neurotypical, is a struggle for both parties. Fortunately, if you and your partner have the love, compassion, and understanding it takes to make it, it can form a beautiful lifetime of happiness.

When a relationship is new, little communication is needed. Everything is easy, everything is fun, and learning about each other is an exiting experience. But learning to share a life with that person, can be very hard. We are known to dislike change, but having a relationship with someone is all change. Though I have had relationships in my life where little change is involved, I have also felt that a lack of love and caring is also present. Any great love, is not an easy face.

It was hard for me to see that my partner, even though an NT, does not always know how I am feeling. And maybe they do not understand your routines, and why you need to do them. For instance, I have a routine for when I am getting ready down to what shoe I put on first, and he tries to be affectionate and "huggy" as I call it, but I refuse this. I did learn that this makes him feel as if I don't care about him. When you explain your routines, why you like to do them, it makes it easier to understand.

I do believe that for NT's, aspies are very hard to understand. It doesn't help that we are stuck in our ways and refuse change, and sometimes even have strong reactions to the person trying to "make" us change. They see that as a sign of you not putting effort into the relationship, so discuss your struggles. It doesn't feel natural to be so open at first, why you are always doing the strange little things you like to do. But the more open you are, the more willing they are to give you time and space for your interests and routines without feeling hurt or ignored.

It's hard to explain yourself when you don't have someone telling you when you need to do so. This is where you have to ask your partner for help. Let them know if there is something they don't understand, or when they are upset with you, it's okay to ask about it. And even when the last thing you want to do is talk about it, do it anyway. Having this outlook has given me a different perspective on my relationship, and it's one that has added years onto a healthy partnership.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Justine. I am an NT (for all intents and purposes) in a relationship with someone who more than likely falls within the AS. I read your comment here:

    http://life-with-aspergers.blogspot.com/2009/10/why-do-aspies-suddenly-back-off-in.html?showComment=1324439719687#c7221118007749307567

    ...and I wondered if I could email you with a question...perhaps ask for some thoughts or any advice you might have?

    Please feel free to contact me through my profile.

    (And I really appreciate your blog here; I'll be reading it, as I think it could really be helpful to me.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. Relationships

    ReplyDelete
  3. The element which makes this blog unique is the optimism seen throughout.
    섹스토이

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredibly composed blog that has transfixed its group of onlookers.남자자위기구

    ReplyDelete